For the last 8 years we have had a Magma kettle grill that we have used on our boats. The size works very well for us since we are typically only cooking for 4 or less. Eight years of hard use and poor maintenance started to take its toll. At the end of last year I noticed some spots were it had rusted through.
To replace the grill I purchased a second Magma Kettle Grill from Craig’s List for $30. My plan was to use parts from both to create one useable grill. Enter Frankengrill!
Today’s project was to breakdown the two grills. Take all of the usable parts and clean them. Then assemble one grill. My original grill’s exterior was pretty much toast but the burner, grate, venturi tube, regulator and mount were all usable. The exterior of the other grill was tarnished but in good shape. The burner was rusted but the rest wast in good shape.
So I took to all the parts with some wire brushes and 3M pads. The grates cleaned up nice so now I have two. Same for the mounts, regulators and venturi tubes.
For the tarnish on the exterior of the grill I tried a new product, Prism Polish. We found the stuff at the boat show with a polymer polish called Mirage. I didn’t really like the Mirage but that might be due to the low temps (below 60 degrees) when I was trying to apply it. The Prism did a great job on the gelcoat so I thought I would give it a try on stainless steal. I think it did a great job!
We christened Frankengrill with some good sausage and a grass fed ribeye.