This weekend we worked from sun up to sundown on Saturday and Sunday on boat projects. Worked a little on Friday evening too.
On Friday, our friend Chris and I installed his Taylor Made bimini bows on his Catalina 30.
We then put on the bimini top on to measure where to add a zipper.
My Bride then took the bimini to her sewing work space (aka my office on the weekends when no one is there). She added the zipper and a cone on top to allow for a mostly water tight seal around the backstay.
With a couple hours of knowledgeable work an under $300 off the shelf bimin was turned into a custom fit for a sailboat bimini. Its nice to have confidences in our skills that we can pull off projects like this and make them look close to professionally done.
While my Bride was working on the bimini. Chris and I were working to wire the solar panels. Of course while drilling the hole for the wires I got negligent in tying off my tools and when the drill bucked…yup, right into the water. That was a frustrating and expensive reminder of why you should always tie off tools when working on boats.
Eventually the hole got drilled, everything was wired and after a few quick minutes of troubleshoot it was all working. Our shore power charger hasn’t been on since Friday yet our batteries were at 100% state of charge as of 4 pm yesterday.
Several posts on the solar panel install are in the works and should be published soon.
Sunday we gave the boat a quick clean but the cockpit got the detailed treatment. I also made a couple of upgrades and repairs to the dinghy. We put all the tools and supplies away and our home looks like a boat again, not a construction project.
Hopefully we should be in sailing shape after this coming weekend.