While my Bride has been busy selling things, I have been plugging away on boat projects. Just as a quick review of what the big project is this year, I am doing the following:
- Replace the dampener plate
- Replace the motor mounts
- Replace the stuffing box with a dripless adapter
- Replace the bronze shaft with a stainless steel one
- Replace the cutlass bearing
- Replace any original hoses left on the engine
- Cleaning & rebuilding the strainer
The dampener plate replacement went fine, here is another photo to let you know how lucky we were that we were still able to use our engine this season.
Putting on the PSS dripless adapter became a bit of an issue. There is a hump on my model of C310 that doesn’t exist on others. This hump is just fiberglass and resin in the area that was hand laid. But it made the area between the hump and the shaft log too tight for the PSS bellows. So I had to grind some of this material away with my Dremel then reseal the area with some epoxy. I then painted this area with a little Interlux Bilgekote since it will be hard to get below the PSS in the future.
Finally I put the PSS on and slide the new shaft into place.
And the new shaft in the new cutlass bearing. Zero play, perfect fit.
Finally, with the help of my friend Frank, the motor went back in place on the new motor mounts.
Here is a close up of the new front mounts with the spacer plates made out of stainless steel thanks to my cousin’s machine shop.
To finish the project I need to align the motor and the shaft, reconnect a few stray wires and hoses and reinstall the line cutter and prop. Hopefully the weather will let me tackle that this weekend and call this project complete. The strainer is still in pieces in my garage but I want to hit the marine consignment store before I go any further on this strainer. I might change from a Perko to a different brand.
Next on the list will be making some modifications to my raw water pump Just changing out some fittings for a better fit. I think my drive belt is hitting one fitting slightly. Then it will be electric time. I want to move my small 300 watt inverter from the hanging locker (PO used it for the TV) to the navigation station. I will install a 12volt outlet near the hanging locker to get ready for a new, 12 volt TV. I also want to put a 12 volt outlet or two in the cockpit for charging the iPad and maybe run some LED strip lights for the cockpit.
We also decided to ditch the foam pads for the back birth. We don’t have people spend the night often. When we do it’s usually drunken friends who usually just sleep in the cockpit. So we took out the two foam pads and replaced them with a air mattress. The Coleman queen air mattress fits the area well and can be stored much easier. What to do with the old foam pads is still up for debate.
While I have been doing this, my Bride has been working to purge the house and getting it ready for the market. Now, if we can only get my buddy George to list it already.