We are in year two of a five year plan to become live aboards and cruisers. We have always loved the Caribbean since our first visit in 1996. We were married on St. Thomas and have gone back as much as we could afford. That is our planned destination. But we want to spend some time getting there and explore the East Coast along the way. The plan in its basic form:
- Get a bigger boat (December 2010) – Check
- Learn how to maintain all the systems in the boat (2011-2012 sailing season and ongoing forever) – Check and ongoing
- Live aboard for a summer to see if we like it (summer 2012) – Check, Loved It!
- Declutter the house and get rid of the stuff we don’t want to take on the boat (winter 2012-2013) – Check but took a little longer
- Sell the house (spring 2013 as long as we are not underwater) – Check, Closed on our house in May of 2014
- Make upgrades to our boat for living aboard in the northeast (2012-2013) –
Not Done Yet. I better hurry up!The boat is as ready as she will be.
- Become full-time live aboards on our Catalina 310 (spring 2013) – Check
- Build the cruising kitty (2013-2015) –
Need to work harder! I like to spend money too much.We reached our savings goal! 🙂
- Leave to head south on June 26, 2015 (my 40th birthday) –
Slight planned delay until October of 2015 to wait for my Bride’s bonus that is paid out at the end of SeptemberWe are departing about a month and a half earlier than this plan.
- Go south until the kitty runs out (2015-?)
The plan has been executed and we are out cruising. We are loving every minute of it and it has been worth every ounce of hard work and sacrifice.